Monday, January 11, 2010

I am back and have a new room!

I have not updated in a while but I have been crafting. I have moved, and bought a house! Now I have my own activity room that I share with my DF. With the new house and not having a full time job I am finding ways to keep me busy while saving money.

Landry Detergent

I made my own laundry detergent using this recipe. It smells fresh and gets clothes clean. I use a 7 gallon water container that we bought during one of the hurricanes and did not know if the water was going to off after the storm. We bought ours at Wal-Mart in the camping supplies.

I went to Wal-Mart for the supplies, but they did not have the washing soda. They did not have Fels Naptha soap but had Pink Zote and it smelt good so I bought it. The Zote soap bar was bigger so I estimated 1.8 oz for the recipe. I went to Kroger’s after and they had the washing soda and had the rest of the supplies for the future. I made a double recipe because I had a big container. I grated the soap with the microplane grater but I think if cut the soap in small chunks it would be ok. I only added 6 cups of the water to the big pot to dissolve the ingredients. I have a wide mouth funnel to put the water into the container and that was a big help. When adding the water to the container I would tally how many cups you have put in so if you have to do something else while making it you will know where you left off. It looks like egg drop soup when you pour it out. I keep the container on a shelf in the laundry room. I have a clear cup to put the soap in and I made a line around with electrical tape to show how much to put in. I have a front loading washer so it has the pull out tray for the soap and has another gauge for it. I lift the soap container up and down to stir the soap around and pour it out. With that valve you have to remember to have it fully closed. Once I bumped in it and spilt soap on the ground. I have supplies to make at least 3 more batches of soap!

Instant Breakfast

We both like to drink the powdered instant breakfast. I knew I could make my own and researched this recipe.

One 3oz box instant pudding (I used sugar free)

1/3 cup sugar

12 scoops protein powder

6 cups instant dry milk

Mix together in a gallon size bag. Use 1 cup of water or milk and ad 1/3 cup of mix and stir.

I have made vanilla and chocolate. I picked all of the supplies at Kroger’s. I have not figured out the savings because the protein powder is the biggest expense. I like it because you can make large quantities of it, make any flavor you want and you just use water so you do not have to worry if you have milk. The taste of instant dry milk is different than what you buy from the store so you might not like it. When we go on our Disneymoon in June I am going to put a serving in a snack size baggie for breakfast.

No comments: